Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The inbetween...

Publishing is such a slow creature. Between that when one writes THE END and that which becomes a book is a period of Limbo. It is no man's land, the grey area, where all are waiting. The galleys are produced and more editing, more argy bargy-ing, and then you give it up, convinced that every last comma has been tipped in - such is that vegetative state - soon my darlings - you can see the results of my slaving over a hot manuscript.

I've finished my manuscript and well into the editing mode and it's getting tighter and tighter as I flip through it looking for repetitions, dead spots, punctuating as I go... making decisions whether something works, better and better, layering - always layering - until I am satisfied that this is the best work I have ever done.

Because as I write I know I get better and better. That is the way of the world. And if I'm not getting better then I am not trying. But then I am always trying and I know, relentless is a good word to have attached to my nature. There's another term - its called dogged determination.

This is a trait shown very well by Baby. She is testing out her puppy's voice. She barks at everything. EVERYTHING! Even the rain drops falling from the trees just recently. What she doesn't know are the frequent calls from the neighbors who are ready to shoot her with a bebe gun I would think by this stage. But how do you tell a six month old puppy that it's antisocial to bark?

No comments: